- Extracts containing geographic and cartographic information from the Census Bureau's MAF/TIGER® (Master Address
File/Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing) database.
- The files provide the digital map base for a Geographic Information System or mapping software. The files do not contain
any mapping software.
- They include spatial data for geographic features such as roads, railroads, rivers, and lakes, as well as legal and statistical
- The geographic entity codes needed to link the Census Bureau's demographic data to the geography are included in the files.
TIGER/Line Shapefiles do not contain any
demographic data; it must be downloaded separately.
- Metadata in Extensible Markup Language (XML) format is included with each compressed file.
These files consist of one .zip file for each shapefile for the
entire state. For example, the tl_2009_48_place00.zip file contains the layer for the Census 2000 Place polygons for the
State of Texas.
These files consist of one .zip file for all shapefiles within
a county. For example, the 48201_Harris.zip file contains all layers for Harris county.